4wd Tour - Dudley Peninsula
- Duration: 8 Hours
This is a flexible itinerary that can be customised for your unique experience.
You have two options for departure locations.
Option 1: Departure from Kingscote / Airport:
Tours departing from the airport or your Kingscote hotel will include a visit to Nepean Bay and Red Banks, untouched places that are only visited by locals. Enjoy a leisurely walk on the pristine beach at Nepean Bay, and then discover the stunning red clay cliffs of Red Banks which can only be reached by walking on a path downhill. A breathtaking place!
Then, we will pass through the small town of American River, where the rare Glossy Black Cockatoo (a parrot that is virtually extinct on the mainland) can be spotted while it feeds off the trees. And, if you look hard enough, you might be able to see a couple of Koalas.
Moving toward Pennington Bay, we will see Pelican Lagoon and maybe some Wallabies and Kangaroos.
The perfect ocean waves at Pennington Bay makes it very popular among local surfers. Adventure lovers can climb to the top of Prospect Hill and admire the expansive views of the Dudley Peninsula. Since this is the narrowest point on the island (just 900 meters coast-to-coast, apart from Pelican Lagoon} you can see the North and South shorelines at the same time.
Then, the tour will continue toward Cape Willoughby, the eastern-most part of the island, where the guide will take you inside the lighthouse, to see the island and the Fleurieu Peninsula (mainland). In the evening, Kangaroos will start coming out, often near the lighthouse.
At the end of the tour, after spotting Kangaroos, Koalas, Wallabies, Pelicans, and, if you are very lucky, even an Echidna up close, we will take you back to your hotel, or the airport/ferry terminal.
The tour includes coffee breaks with biscuits and a light meal (please let us know about your dietary allergies) or you can book a BBQ lunch with local KI wine, that will be cooked right there by the guide.
Option 2: Departure from Penneshaw, American River and Ferry Terminal:
In this option, the tour will start from your American River or Penneshaw hotel, or when you arrive with the ferry from Cape Jervis.
A fee of $25 per person will be applied for Penneshaw/Ferry pick up. This will cover the extra time, km driven and fuel.
- Gourmet BBQ Lunch, with Kangaroo Island wine
- Pick up at Ferry Terminal or Penneshaw Accommodation.
- Using our vehicles there are no restrictions on driving at night time or unsealed roads.
- Morning/afternoon coffee breaks and a light lunch are included in this tour.
- National Park Fees are included in this tour.
- We can organise the tour in Italian language as well.
- Min 2 passengers are required for this tour.
- Max 6 passengers on tour, we are operating SMALL GROUP tours.
- COVID19 Safe - We are cleaning our vehicles before and after the tours with special disinfectants spray + hand sanitizer available on board.
- Children 6 + 14 years old will have a discount on the tour.
- Children 15 - 18 years old are considered adults.
- Children 1- 18 Cannot travel unless accompanied by an adult.
- If travelling with infants or young children please book the Private Option.
- Depending to the age young children will need to use a booster seats. Please let us know if you need one.
- A deposit of $200 is required at the time of booking (Except for Nocturnal Tours)and balance prior traveling paid by credit card provided.
- Nocturnal Tours are charged in full at the time of booking if booked alone.
- A non refundable card surcharge of 2.59 % applies on all the transactions made by credit card